Monday, September 19, 2011

Peach Upside Down Cake

I made this one day because I bought a whole big box of fresh organic peaches from Costco (that means BULK) and they were gonna go bad if I didn't do something with them, and fast! My husband does NOT like peaches, but I didn't know that when I bought it, so I had to be pretty careful how I used them. He wouldn't eat it in a pie, so I made a cake! You better believe he ate this up! And he wants me to make more! SCORE! Serves 8.

6 peaches, peeled, seeded and sliced (or you can use 3 cans of sliced peaches, you cheater!)
1 cup sugar, plus an extra 2 tbsp for sprinkling
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 eggs, beaten

First off, preheat your oven to 350F.

Get your peaches and spread them on a 9x13 baking pan (which has been sprayed with nonstick spray, of course).  Sprinkle the 2 tbsp of sugar on them and set that aside.

Sift your flour, baking soda and salt, and set aside. In a mixing bowl, Cream your butter with a hand mixer and add your sugar. Mix for a minute on low. Now add in your eggs, milk and vanilla extract. Mix all that till blended. Gradually add in your sifted flour mixture and mix that for about 2 minutes on medium, scraping the sides of the bowl with a spatula to incorporate everything.

Note: use actual vanilla extract, please. Not imitation vanilla. It DOES make a difference in taste.

Pour the batter over the peaches in the pan, and put into your oven. Bake for about 45 minutes- 1 hour. It is done when you stick a fork in it and it comes out clean.

Invert onto a cooling rack.


If you are a novice baker, you would want to know that you have to cool your cakes or pastries before you serve them because they are really hot out of the oven. Sounds silly, but yeah.

Dig in! 12 points a slice.


No comments:

Post a Comment